Canterbury is yet to be given the all-clear over its botched multi-million dollar deal with Andrew Fifita, with the NRL revealing some aspects of the contract saga are still being investigated.
Fifita was on the verge of signing with the Bulldogs for four seasons back in March, based on an annual salary of around $800,000 as outlined in a memorandum of understanding.
But the contract proper, leaked to the Nine Network last month, showed a shortfall of more than $1 million to the agreed amount.
He has since signed a lucrative four-year deal to remain at Cronulla.
NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle on Monday said while the Bulldogs had been cleared on some points, the league’s probe was ongoing.
“We’re going through the whole process at the moment,” Doyle told AAP at the launch of this year’s Women in League round.
“(There are) different aspects to it. Obviously the salary cap aspect of it, and there’s obviously dealing with player managers who are unaccredited – all those type of things are rolled up into it, so it’s still a work in progress.”
Asked how long it might be before the issue was resolved, Doyle said: “I wouldn’t think it would be too much longer.”
After suggesting last week the Bulldogs had already been cleared of any wrongdoing, chief executive Raelene Castle on Monday clarified that the club remained in discussions with the NRL as part of the probe.
“Certainly around some elements of it we’ve been given the all clear … particularly around the salary cap elements and around the negotiation process in relation to the salary cap,” Castle told AAP.
“There’s a couple of other queries around the player manager that Andrew was using to negotiate his contract, so we continue to talk to them (the NRL) about that.”
There have been suggestions Fifita has been considering legal action against Canterbury, however Castle said the club was yet to receive any notice of intention.
“We’re very comfortable with our position and we remain comfortable with the way we’ve handled things,” she added.